In March my project for the month was shooting the colour red, using Kodak Ektar film. I have put together a short eBook of the project. There is no overarching narrative, beyond the use of the colour red in each image. However, most of the shots in the eBook were taken near to Bournemouth. There were a large number of other shots that did not make the final edit, not because I didn’t like the images (some I really liked), but because I felt they did not fit together naturally enough for me.
However, here are some of the images that did not make the final book. Check out the eBook for those that did.
Last month, my project was to shoot with Cinestill film. The results were OK, nothing to really write home about. I shot three rolls of film in the end. Two have been scanned, but I still need to finish the third.
This month, I have been shooting with a Nikon F3, a 50mm 1.4 lens and Kodak Ektar. To add a bit of structure, I am giving myself a brief for each month. This month, as I am using colour film, I am focusing on the colour red. I have been very productive so far this month, and had to order more film as I shot through 5 rolls of Ektar in about two weeks. Mind you, it has been a very busy few weeks generally!
Two things I can say is that (1) Kodak Ektar is a great film, the colours are amazing. It’s certainly a film that I intend to keep using on a very regular basis; (2) the Nikon F3 is a lovely camera. I can see why they made them for over 20 years. It was a camera that I always wanted since being a teenager, so it’s nice to finally get my hands on one and shoot with it. The 50mm Nikon AI lens is not a sharp as a 50mm Leica Summilux. But that’s to be expected. However, it does have a lot of character. I really like the look it gives when shot wide open. The bokeh is very nice.
I am intending to publish the work as an e-book at the end of the month. Unlike last month, when I waited until the end, I am processing and scanning as I go along. So, hopefully, something tangible will emerge quicker. However, time for scanning has cut down on time for blogging!